Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Trial


Wow. Those were some really interesting chapters. I'm sad that it took this long for the book to start to become interesting. What did you guys think about the court case? I think that it's really sad how racist the jury and the town is. Atticus presents a solid, believable case and the jury condemns a innocent man purely because of the color of his skin. It makes me sick. What I also wondered after the trial was how this affected Scout and Jem. I don't know about you, but if I was them I would start to question the law and how it works. If I couldn't trust that the law would work and be fair, then how could I ever believe in justice? And if justice didn't work because of the racism that the people of the town had, then how would humanity or compassion ever work? I would be so confused, especially at that age. It would really set me back as to trusting in people. What do you guys think? Going back more to the trial itself, I really think that this is a good example of the main theme of the book. To Kill A Mockingbird deals with the fact of small town racism and the problems that creates, so I think that the trial really underlines that statement. I enjoyed those few chapters and I hope it doesn't get boring again like the beginning. This is the first time that I'm actually starting to enjoy it.

Hope you're having a good weekend and Happy St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: