Monday, May 21, 2007

Compassion

The post that Mrs. James showed us really opened my eyes to how offensive people can be. Especially, a_band_geek's comment pushed me over the edge. I found that it was not only offensive to me, but to other people as well and it was also inappropriate. This made me think of something we should consider: compassion. For a second, I could not believe that an honors class would write that. I have to admit that the blogger was picking a fight in his or her post, but they still need to have respect shown to them concerning their opinions. By telling a person, they are wrong by what they believe is like telling them that their religious beliefs are wrong and should just abandon them. I'm trying not to put that too harshly. A friend and I were discussing this and she said that when you see dark blue, others see black. And you can argue about which is which, but will never come to a conclusion since you cannot see each other's opinions. But back to my point, please just show compassion to those whose opinions are contradicting of yours. You can't convince everybody and they can't convince you. Remember that other people are not you so they will not believe what you will believe. Show compassion to others' opinions and they will show compassion to yours.

8 comments:

cavalierschick said...

I agree. I felt that the way they handled everything was not the best decision. I love getting to here other peoples opinions, but the way they presented their information and how the first few people commented really turned me off. I lost a lot of respect for those people.

mellofelloet said...

You make a really good point. I think that you are making a verry good point. Some of the people just crossed the line of what is approprite on the blog and what isnt.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, what the band geek said was really innapropriate and unnecassary- I think that it is partly the poster's fault though because in a way they provoked it!

KuroiKisu said...

I totally agree with you, they didn't have to insult each other so harshly. (Although...I wasn't really listening much to the whole thing, all I heard was retard) They could have, and should have, handled the situation a little better. They were sort of acting like they were back in elementary school; it was pretty fun to me. :)

Scarlett_Rose said...

I have to agree, band_geek was harsh, but they weren't insulting the blogger, they were insulting other people. I also have to admit that I'm slightly biased because band_geek is one of my best friends, so, yeah. And she was right, her ex-boyfriend wasn't exactly the brigtest bulb in the box.

notre_dame_bound said...

I partly agree. However people are made fun of and teased because of their religion and people that have no religion are always being pressured into trying to be a part of God and all that nonsense. Even though a person is not "the brightest bulb in the box" doesn't give anyone the right to make fun of the mentally handicaped people. The word retard should never be used in the context it was used. Yes they should have handled it better but if they want to bring up the topics then let them. Other people don't have to respond. Also all three of those topics are sore spots in today's society and if someone is going to bring it up then it is going to cause controversy. It could have been avoided but if they want to bring it up then the more power to them. If people weren't so stubborn about those topics none of this would have happened.

Eliza101 said...

I think that it was totally out of line for someone to say something like that, especially on the blog. We have to be careful of what we say. I think it would have been a better comment if they wouldn't have used such harsh words.

never_give_up said...

Same here. I thought the same as everyone else that commented, they were way outta line.