Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Costumes


I hope that you all are having a good day so far. What I really like so far about that new version of Romeo and Juliet is the different costumes that were worn at the Capulet ball. Have you guys really looked at the different costumes? What I really like is how each costumes match the different characters. Romeo is dressed as a knight, Juliet is an angel, Tybalt is the devil, Capulet dress in the Greek god costume, Lady Capulet as Cleopatra, Mercutio as the girl, and Paris as the astronaut. I think I understand why some of the characters have the costumes they do, but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I believe that Romeo is dressed as the knight because he is all that Juliet ever could want and later on in the play she calls him her knight. Juliet is dressed as the angel because of all the light and heavenly references Romeo uses to describe her. Tybalt is dressed as the devil because he is the main antagonist. I think Lord Capulet is dressed as the Greek god because he is this larger than life figure, is rich, and rules his house like an empire. I believe that Mercutio is dressed in drag to reiterate all of the sexual jokes he makes to Romeo throughout the play. That part of him becomes even more evident in the scenes yet to come. What I still can't seem to figure out is why Lady Capulet is dressed in the Cleopatra costume and Paris as an astronaut. I do think of Cleopatra when I think of Lady Capulet, but I'm really confused on the choice of costume for Paris. What do you guys think? I would be really interested to hear what you all have to say. :]

No comments: