Sunday, April 22, 2007

House of Sand and Fog

Right now I am reading House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. It is about a house(go figure) and three people in conflict over it. Colonel Behrani is a stuggling immigrant who used to be an extremely wealthy Iranian military man. He buys the house in order to make a profit to finally have some money.
Kathy Nicolo was the owner of the house. That was until the city seized it and put it up for auction, because of an unpaid business tax. This is puzzling since a business was never run at Kathy's house. Kathy wants the house that is rightfully hers.
Then there is Deputy Sheriff Lester Burdon. He is a very kind man who wants to help Kathy win her house back because he is in love with her. The problem is, that Lester has a wife and kids. So he is basically having an affair.
This book is a powerful human drama filled with lust, addiction, and dreams. I tried to read the book before, but I realized at 12, I was not mature enough to read the book. I never finished it but I want to finish it this time. This is definitely a mature book. There are some scenes that can be uncomfortable or awkward for a person to read. That's why I never finished it.
If you like Grey's Anatomy, you will like this book.

P.S. They also made a movie out of it.

No comments: