Friday, April 27, 2007

Mercutio

Throughout the play, I've noticed that Shakespeare has a way to change the characters feelings and my feelings about the characters. Like he changed Romeo's feelings of pity love to true love. He also changed what I think about Mercutio. In the beginning of the play, Mercutio teased Romeo about his pitiful love over Rosaline. But now that I know that Romeo has found true love, Mercutio's taunts are kind of annoying. In Romeo + Juliet, at first, I didn't think that Mercutio's character fit the one in Shakespeare's play. But now I kind of see that they fit. (kind of) When I read Act II, Scene 4, I didn't understand what Mercutio was saying. Until I read No Fear Shakespeare, I realized that he was making very sexual comments. He even says them to the Nurse. I am amazed how my opinion of him changed so fast. I wonder what else Shakespeare has up his sleeve.

No comments: