Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Where we lay our scene



Now that we are done with To Kill A Mockingbird, the next book that we are reading is Romeo and Juliet. Personally, this is one of my favorite books that I have ever read. Not only do I enjoy the story plot, but I love that it takes place in Verona. Have you seen any pictures from there? It's absolutely beautiful. It has one of the most beautiful outdoor theater called the Roman Arena which dates all the way back to 1st century B.C. ! Actually, the towns biggest tourist pull (when there are some) is all of the Romeo and Juliet "sites". They actually have places in the town like Romeo's house, Juliet's house, and the tomb. It's a quiet little town with little tourist activity, but when they are there it's almost always to follow in real life the story of Romeo and Juliet. I would love to go to Verona not only for the beautiful scenery, but to go and follow one of my favorite stories, despite the places being fictional. What about you? Are there any places you would like to go visit because you read about them in a book? Where are they and do you really plan on going to visit them someday? I hope you all enjoy Romeo and Juliet once we get into it. Oh, by the way the picture is actually in Verona at Juliet's house. The balcony you see in the picture is "The Balcony" from the ever famous scene from Romeo and Juliet. The statue in the courtyard is of Juliet. I think that's really cool, but that's just me. Well, I hope you have a good day. :]

3 comments:

Katiedogg said...

How cool! I'd love to go there. Thanks for the link!

CrazyDay said...

Personally, I've never read Romeo and Juliet, and honestly know next to nothing about it. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I don't know much about it, other than this famous Shakespeare wrote it.

I'm hoping it'll be a good read and draw me into it.

cavalierschick said...

I'd comment on one of your post, crazyday, but I can't find one. Romeo and Juliet has been mostly known because of it being a love story, but if you look deeper there are so many more themes to it. Along with the "tragic romance" there's the hatred of two different family's and their consistant battles along with the courage it takes for two people to look past that age long seperation between the two houses. Romeo and Juliet is not as dry as you think it is. The first scene is the best example of this. Most of the class will find the first seen the dullest, but look closer. If you put it all in modern text and setting, you could almost look at it as two rival gangs throwing obscene hand gestures and getting ready to take the other out. You just have to look between the lines and think about it in a way you will understand it. :]